WASHINGTON — Sudan’s warring factions have agreed to a new short-term ceasefire, U.S. and Saudi mediators announced Saturday, after several previous attempts to negotiate a holding truce failed.
Meeting in the Saudi port city of Jeddah, the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces signed a seven-day ceasefire which is due to come into effect Monday at 9:45 p.m. local time in Sudan, states said. States and Saudi Arabia in a statement. joint statement. The ceasefire could be extended if both sides agree.
“Both sides have communicated to the Saudi and American facilitators their commitment not to seek any military advantage during the 48-hour notification period after the signing of the agreement and before the start of the ceasefire,” did he declare.
The Jeddah talks previously resulted in an agreement between the two sides on protecting civilians and facilitating the delivery of humanitarian aid to those affected by the conflict. But, previous ceasefire agreements have failed amid accusations of violations by both.
“It is well known that the parties have previously announced ceasefires which have not been observed,” the US-Saudi statement said.
“Unlike previous ceasefires, the agreement reached in Jeddah was signed by the parties and will be supported by a US-Saudi ceasefire monitoring mechanism and supported by the international community.”
The follow-up and coordination committee should be composed of three representatives of the United States and Saudi Arabia and three representatives of each party.